Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Back from holiday, not done marking yet

So I still have exam marking to do. This is sad. On the plus side, despite being on maternity leave, Debbie is going to be in at school for most of the next two days, so I can do lots of boring marking but not have to miss out on quality Debbie time, since I have to miss out on Debbie time anyway. I will also do much tidying of the house and other exciting chores. In less domestic news, apparently I have the look of a metal fan. We were in Taihape on the way home, stopping for a drink, when the service station guy at Wild Bean asked me, "Do you listen to metal?" It was an unexpected question, but I answered yes. When he asked me where I was from, I said Hamilton as I was apparently having some kind of teenage metal-flashback, then explained that I was from Hamilton but lived in Kapiti now. "Have you listened to a band called Death?" he asked. I replied that I had, slightly confused as to where this conversation was going. I had already paid for our drinks but was now trapped in a slightly surreal dialogue. "I'm in a band called Soul Canciern (or something), if you see a poster for us playing in Wellington you should come check us out!" It all made sense (sort of). He was trapped in Taihape, and was in a death metal band. Local supporters were probably thin on the ground, so he was building up a network of support by talking to any beardy long-haired guys who were passing through who looked like they might like a bit of death-metal. As Debbie said on the way back to the car, I must be some kind of walking stereotype to be so quickly identified as a metal fan. I guess the odds were 50/50 that I'd be into metal, or be some kind of filthy hippy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I just lost a comment so...good to hear you are home safely :) and cute to hear that you are still seen as a metaller after all this time. I am sure you made the guy's day.