Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Second Draft

I am currently working on a second draft of my Kiwiniwrimo novel. Mostly it's tidying up typoes and adding in a bit more description (the first draft was very dialogue heavy). There are a few minor changes to help with motivation (like making the main character's father recently redundant, allowing her to have cool film-making toys and long-standing plans to go to film school, but no actual cash-money to see her dream come true), and some relationship background to clarify, but I'm hoping it won't take too long, or indeed be too extensive. I haven't heard back from Longacre yet, but the next two places on my list to send the manuscript both require a full manuscript (rather than 3 chapters + synopsis) so I need to get it done before I hear back from Longacre either way (either Longacre will want to take a look at the full manuscript, or I'll be sending it elsewhere). It's nice to have a manuscript which only needs a little tinkering to get it into a shape where I'll be happy to keep sending it off to various publishers. The other novella I wrote several years ago was quite noticeably a first draft, and has never made it to second draft status (I got about half way through redrafting, but it's not especially publish-worthy anyway so my motivation is low). This time I feel it's a much more realistic effort - not an inspired piece of writing necessarily, but at least something written with a clear target audience in mind, and a target market which may suit several NZ publishers (teens/schools). So, redrafting continues. When I'm done (hopefully before the end of next week) I may see if anyone's keen to have a read, give me further feedback.


2 comments:

Jenni said...

I'd be keen to have a read!

Matt said...

Yay!