Monday, August 14, 2006

My bad

This morning I forgot to return a camera to the library - it was a camera that another teacher needed, too. It's totally my bad, and I find myself feeling very sheepish about the whole thing. On the other hand, when the teacher in question quite rightly expressed their displeasure, they got a bit ranty. To the point where they didn't actually hear the questions I was asking until I'd repeated them at least twice. Words such as "completely unprofessional" and "I'd never do that to another teacher" were used. After I had acknowledged that it was entirely my fault. There is some value in venting one's feelings. It can clear the air, and allow one to move on with one's day. There is great value in knowing when you've really screwed up someone's day, and need to let them vent. There is, however, also some value in treating people who are about to do you a favour with courtesy, even when they've messed up your day. I'm supposed to be teaching the class of the teacher I screwed over this week, as a favour. I now have quite mixed feelings about the situation. I clearly did something bad, and fully deserved a telling off. I think the language used was a little stronger than I'd be comfortable with, but it certainly wasn't offensive. The problem is, I don't want to go out of my way to teach extra classes - it was only ever going to be a favour. And now I have a number of competing factors - guilt, indignance, laziness - swishifying my brain, tempting me with scenarios that are less work for me, but are not good for collegial relationships. The fact that the teacher in question hadn't booked any cameras as of a week ago, and didn't do so until I suggested that it might be a good idea for a filming project, also makes me wonder what my overall contribution to the project will be - how much of a hindrance as opposed to a boon I'll end up being. I will teach the class. I will return borrowed items on time. I will never offer my help to other departments again. That should pretty much cover it ;)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people require more forbearance than others - and being magnanimous (big word, hope I spelt it right) in this situation gives you heaps of moral high ground - if that is of any consolation. Why is it that teachers do these rants at colleagues - repression rampant because we can't treat students that way?? present company excepted of course and all that......

Matt said...

As I said, it was an entirely justified rant. I think the sheepishness mixed in with the tiredness and the doing-a-favourness is just an odd mix that I am not used to :)

I rant to Debbie all the time about school - and I think that enables me to be less ventiferous at school. I dread to think what I'd be like if I didn't have a supportive spouse to swap stories with!

Anonymous said...

And in my opinion spouse directed ranting (or sibling directed) is therapy and quite distinct from ranting at a colleague!!

Matt said...

It is 'ranting about' rather than 'ranting at', which is a very important distinction.

Anonymous said...

good point :)

Seraph said...

Sounds like the guy was being a jerk. Sneak up behind him and smack him in the back of the head. Or her. =)