Monday, April 27, 2009

Product Review: Edifier M2200 Speakers

So I bought some new speakers this weekend, as the old speakers I had for my computer kinda died. There was a loose wire in one of the speakers and it kept cutting out. Being as they were cheapy came-with-the-computer speakers anyway I wasn't sad to be upgrading.

I wanted 2.0 speakers as there wasn't much in the way of room on or under my desk for a subwoofer. I checked out the Warehouse, DSE and Harvey Norman and found a few options, but decided to go for the Edifier M2200's for the following reasons:

1. They were $50, right in the middle of the amount I wanted to spend. There were cheaper speakers, and some $80 Logitech ones that looked nice, but $50 felt like a good amount.
2. They felt like a good weight, where good = feel solidly constructed.
3. They're sleek looking, black and tall and simple.
4. Their output is apparently 4 watts RMS each speaker, for a total of 8 watts. This is more than any of the cheaper speakers by a substantial margin (3 watts combined for one $40 set). I think this means they are capable of going louderer.
5. They have a headphone socket and a mic socket on the front of one of the speakers. This is handy when Dom's napping and I don't want to scramble about under the desk looking for the headphone socket on the PC.



So I took them home and plugged them in. Result? They sound nice. Good amount of bass for some small desktop speakers, clear crisp sound, and they do indeed go loud. Much louder than I will probably ever need.

Even at relatively low volumes the bass is audible (as loud as the cheap 2.1 speakers I used to have a few years back with the sub cranked up, but cleaner). At medium volumes they sound quite warm.

Verdict? If your crappy sub $20 computer speakers fall over and you're looking for an inexpensive but not absolute bargain basement replacement, these are some good speakers to look at. I expect to get a good deal of listening pleasure out of these speakers - I just wish I'd upgraded years ago :-)

4 comments:

Hamish said...

Well, I'm sold. MSY sells them for like $30 so I am definitely going with these.

Matt said...

Cool - hope they meet your needs :-)

Doc said...

Nice review, quick question, does the volume knob control the volume of the headphones when you have them plugged in?

Matt said...

No - when you plug headphones in the speakers stop putting out sound, and the headphones go at the same volume as if you'd plugged them direct into the headphone socket of the computer.

Because the headphone socket is a kind of direct bypass of the speakers they don't even have to be turned on to use the headphone socket.