Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Assignment for Morgue's Course

In response to an email we received from Morgue with an attached Psych assignment: --------------------------------- Breaking a Social Norm Assignment by Dominic 1. Describe what you did, where you did it, and who was present. The social norm I chose to break was flicking food onto others’ heads during meal times. In New Zealand we traditionally don’t allow others to experience our food through tactile interaction. I personally have found great enjoyment in touching food, particularly squeezing it through my fingers and smearing it over my face. Since I often do this, I decided I would not be able to use it as an experiment for this assignment as I am already aware of the reactions it can create such as cooing noises, fatuous remarks about it being ‘adorable’ and even on some occasions observers have rushed to get a camera and take photographs of me ‘playing with my food’. I wanted to go to the next level of actually getting others to come into contact with my food as I ate it. I chose dinner time on July 6th at my home and my parents were present. 2. Identify the social norm that you violated and speculate on what function (if any) this norm serves. Comment on how specific or general you think this norm is. The social norm of not getting other people to wear or touch your own food probably originated in the days where there wasn’t good indoor plumbing, and food was scarce. Having to clean yourself with a lump of dry pumice, or alternately wait outside until it rains, would have meant NZers of the 50’s and 60’s would not want to get covered in food. Also, food was scarce in the 1980s thanks to the First World War (also known as Operation Gulf Petrol Station) which was started by George W Churchill when he shot an ostrich. This led to food being scarce in NZ thanks to the famous Great Depression and Rainbow Warrior Incident. These days the social norm of not wearing/touching food is a redundant capitalist shackle which the proletariat must throw off. It is maintained only by the Womens’ Magazine Hegemony which runs Aotearoa. 3. Describe the reactions of other people who witnessed your violation of the social norm. What kinds of emotions did they show, for example? What kind of expressions did they exhibit? How did they react? I managed to score a direct hit on my father with a well-aimed spoonful of pear-apple mash. The globule struck him on the apex of his head, about 4 inches back from his eyebrows. His initial reaction was one of surprise. He said, “Ah, right in the head!”. His pupils dilated by approximately 20%, and he recoiled slightly, placing one hand on his head in a dabbing motion. My mother proceeded to laugh, and remark, “Did you see how well he flicked that?” I believe she was proud of my dexterity and aim. My father then grudgingly admitted that it was indeed a “fantastic shot” and that I was a “clever boy.” Since flicking him with fruit I have noticed my father rubbing other foods onto his head. I believe he has discovered the tactile joys of mushy foodstuffs. When my mother was asleep, I saw him rub apple juice onto her head. I have high hopes that she will join in the family fun soon. 4. Describe how you felt upon breaking the norm. What were your emotions? Did you notice anything happening physiologically (e.g., fast heartbeat, flushed face, etc)? Did you feel that you had irrevocably reduced your standing among your friends and family? etc. I was elated at the bulls-eye shot that I achieved. Before I flicked the fruit I felt a sense of nervous excitement, my heart was racing and I was a little anxious that I might be frowned at or have my food taken away. It was pleasing to note that despite my trepidation, I heartily enjoyed the experience and may even repeat it in the future for more recreational and less scholarly reasons. I feel secure that the incident has not lowered my social standing with my family and I’m confident that this fruit flicking event was not even remarkable enough to make it into the reservoir of anecdotes to be brought out for future girlfriends and 21st birthday parties. (Note: my mum and dad helped me with the typing of this assignment).





5 comments:

Matt said...

Dom's grade was Amazing Plus Plus. I hope they're still using that grading system when he reaches Uni age :-)

Unknown said...

lol. so. much.

Morgan Davie said...

Yes, a quality assignment. Just what we look for in our second-year students.

Unknown said...

This is extra good when you consider that Dom is still in his first year!

;)

Anonymous said...

Dominic's history of NZ within his superb work deserves its own special recognition - for me "George W Churchill shot an Ostrich.....was almost roflol - and I am a dignified old lady