Monday, February 25, 2008

I like to ride my bicycle

Thanks to a very kind moo-ma and moo-pa, I now have a shiny bike to ride to school. My travel time has decreased from something like 13-15 minutes to something around about 6-7 minutes each way. This is awesome, and not in any significant way environment destroying, which is way cool (car travel time = 5 minutes). It means I can now pop home during a non-contact or lunch hour! Previously it took half an hour to walk home and back, leaving very little at-home time in a 45 minute luch hour. Now it's closer to 12-14 minutes travel time, effectively inverting the home/travel ratio. I have stoppped reading books on my way to and from school, but have taken up listening to Terry Pratchett audio books on my mp3 player, 7 minutes at a time. It's going to take me a while to work my way through an unabridged book, but I am still getting a daily literary fix (in addition to the books I have to read for school). Oh yeah, I read 'Martyn Pig', a book about a kid dealing with disposing of his dad's corpse, and am now reading 'In My Father's Den' for school. I chose good books for my classes to study this year :-)



3 comments:

Matt said...

Note: stashing my bike in the men's changing room is included in that 7 minutes. The door to door time is closer to 5 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is national "On your bike" day and people from all over (including your esteemed mooma) are riding to work - you are simply ahead of the fashion :o)

Matt said...

Cool - I shall be on the lookout for hordes of cyclists :-)