Monday, August 07, 2006

Everybody cut, everybody cut...

Busy week. Saw 7 hours of the production performances (all of Tuesday, first half Wednesday, filmed Friday, helped out/watched Saturday). It was very good, and got noticeably better as the kids performed more, the crowds got bigger and the technical aspects became smoother. I am now slaving away over the DVD, having bought a 200gb external hard drive specifically for school production editing. I believe my school's production is even going to reimburse me for it, which is an awesome thank-you for doing the filming/editing. It's going to be a heck of a lot easier this year, using Premier Pro instead of Windows Moviemaker. Last year was silly amounts of work. This year it's pretty much a case of syncing up the footage from 2 cameras, deleting the sound on one track, then trimming away all of the bits of the close up footage that we don't want to reveal the wider angle footage that's sitting under it. Then repeat, in very quick fashion, for the third camera, which is a very wide angle (all the way from the back of the hall). We probably won't end up using much of the very wide, but there are a few places where it'll come in handy. The benefit is that it's much, much faster than last year. The only bummer is the 8 or so hours I have to spend capturing all the footage. The transfer rate for the USB hard drive is good, but over a 50 minute capture (around 10gb) it tends to drop a few frames of footage, which puts things out of sync. So I have to capture to an internal drive, then copy the files across. Which is fine, but adds even more time to a time consuming process. Right, I have reached my self-imposed 7 minute time limit for blogging - better post this and get some work done!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeee I really want to see the DVD of your kids doing Footloose!

wkgftg

Matt said...

It's Debbie's kids actually - I think I have more extra-curricular involvement with her school than mine ;)

I will also be filming and editing my school's production (as I did last year), hence my school being willing to reimburse me for costs. My school is doing a sequel to last year's parody of Fame - Fameless.

hix said...

I love hearing how your editing is becoming more and more effortless. And, of course, the glory of a 3-camera setup filmed in front of a live audience can only help

Anonymous said...

Oh, your school productions sound cool! I will be watching our school do Oliver tonight... *Who will buy, this wonderful morning?...*

Matt said...

Act one is now all assembled! Act two needs another hour or two of work.

It's a damn good thing to have a fast turnaround of work, and to get things done while enthusiasm is still high!