Thursday, July 13, 2006

Short Films-a-go-go

It's been a busy holidays. I think I have finished editing the first of the short films we made last week. It's a teacher-student short for Moviefest about getting a date for the school ball. It was planned on Tuesday (I was there for about an hour towards the end), then shot on Wednesday. We used Norman's very nice camera to film it, and shot in and around the school. Everything was shot inside, as it was raining very heavily on Wednesday. The editing process started on Wednesday night, then was interrupted by filming on Thursday. We had scripted another short film for the Moviefest competition about a woman getting revenge. It had a cast of 3, and a crew of one and a bit - me, with a little help from actors when they weren't in front of the camera. Fraser helped out with sound, and Debbie did makeup. I was director/camera/sound/lighting guy. There's a rough cut of the film on the hard drive, which Debbie and I put together on Thursday night and Friday morning, before we headed off to Christchurch to visit family. Since we got back I've been beavering away at the school based film (now finished, barring obvious fixes that may crop up), and helping Debbie get ready for the school production which is looming. Paint shopping, painting set stuff, designing posters, that kind of thing. We may be off to buy fabric later today, but I've inconveniently booked a guy to put in a cat door this afternoon. Hopefully all will go well timing-wise? We also had a crack at writing a version of the script for the Jenni's Angels Moviefest entry - Jenni sent out her first draft, and several people were riffing on it to feed her ideas. I am pretty excited about short film number 3 for this holidays. Again I'll be technical guy, which means I don't get to play a superhero. If I was going to play MENTOR I'd want to attach a cape to a tweed jacket, and get a pipe and monacle. Heh, that'd be cool. So, busy holidays. Three short films in 2 weeks. Writing, directing, camera-ing, sounding, editing. I have improved my Premiere-Pro Fu considerably already, and a superhero story should provide some interesting challenges. Better get back to tidying!

No comments: