Monday, February 13, 2006

You're Not Sitting There, Son


This year, somewhat unexpectedly, I seem to have developed the habit of calling students 'son'. Last year I did call a student son when he addressed me as dad (something that he was a little embarassed about, but not too mortified), but only once. This year the term 'son' has slipped out several times in the space of a week, both in the positive "good job, son" and the negative "I don't think so, son, you're sitting THERE." It's an interesting thing - I think I am moving into an age where I can actually start dealing with students as a 'proper' grown-up - someone they see as being old enough to be a parent to a teenager. Doing the maths, I would have had to have fathered a child when I was 16 to have a teenage child now, which is entirely possible. I think the teaching profession has artificially aged me too, hitting me over the head with a several-years aging stick. I feel it in my bones, and maybe it's starting to show in my unusual vocabulary choices.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you don't find *inexplicable* things creeping there way into your vocabulary...

Like yesterday, I called somone a 'champion' for no real reason. twice actually in the same night...

Matt said...

I have picked up the habit of using the word champion to mean 'excellent'. As in:

Nick P: I have commented on your blog.

Me: Champion! I shall have to go read your comment.

I almost acquired the word 'conquistador' in the same usage, but it didn't stick.

Anonymous said...

I find I call the students "honey" and "darling" a frightening amount!! Even if it is only a couple of times a term, it may well be tooo many times!