Monday, February 13, 2006

The Vicar Ejaculated

It was an odd thing to be reading a Dorothy Sayers novel last night (Busman's Honeymoon) and come across a phrase something like "the vicar ejaculated several times while she was talking." I have, of course, seen that usage of the verb many times, and it seems rather juvenile to still find it amusing, but that particular sentence construction seemed to be very suggestive. It's the second example I've noticed recently of a very different usage of a word in a book I've read. I finally got around to reading The Fat Man, as I was considering teaching it, and came across the word 'pimp' used to mean 'squeal' or 'rat' or 'narc'. As in - "Martin was furious that Jones had pimped him to the principal on Friday." I would be furious too!


No comments: