Monday, February 27, 2006

Sometimes the monologue should stay internal

Another week starting. Another week closer to the holidays.

I am hoping to make it to a number of roleplaying events this year. First and foremost I want to get down to Christchurch for Buckets of Dice. With my gebruder having moved down to Christchurch recently, and my sister's family living down there, I'm very keen to pop down anyways, and going for a roleplaying convention should be a lot of fun.

Of course there will be some tension there - I'll be wanting to spend as much time as possible with both family and roleplaying. One awesome solution would be to get Adam to come to Buckets. He was keen on Kapcon (and may come next year), so a local con might be appealing. And his new job doesn't have any weekend work (unlike his previous job), so he'll definitely be free J

I'm also wanting to get up to Palmerston North for at least a day of Magecon / Panzershreck. I think it's the week before Buckets, so the middle of the year could be quite roleplaying-y. I shall have to make sure I have a con scenario ready to run, although going as a player would also be awesome (and less stressful than GMing).

Work is a place where I have to be 5 days a week. It's actually quite enjoyable at times, but there are times when I am really earning my salary. It's not easy teaching alternate classes. On the other hand, it's certainly not boring either.

In my old job I used to read a lot, play computer games, and write at work. That doesn't happen so much in teaching, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there aren't that many hours in the day when I'm not in front of a class - I have 4 non-contact hours a week this half of the year. That'll go up to 8 hours a week at the mid-point of the year, which is awesome. Also, strangely, the amount of work I'll have to do as head of a course will probably drop off too - a lot of it is start-of-the-year stuff. So the second half of the year should be pretty nice.

The other reason that reading and writing and other fun activities don't happen so much is that there are always things that need doing - marking, paperwork and planning. Those few moments that I do take as 'mental health breaks' tend to be to check email or, occasionally, NZRaG.

So - many good things about the job, some things that are difficult, but a job that is never boring. I got to play hack today for about half an hour with some Year 13 students, so that was awesome.

In related news, I didn't want to blog about my day specifically, as Debbie did such an awesome job on her own blog. I will say that the race from my school to hers to drop off keys was a much more pulse-pounding start to the day than sitting in staff briefing, and that I could totally get to her school in half the time, maybe less, if I had sirens flashing and was ignoring all speed limits.

I got stuck behind someone doing 40km/h for NO REASON for a while too, which made it take longer than it needed to. Still, there and back inside of 22 minutes, including waiting around for about 4 precious minutes at the office.

Hmmm, now I want to race around madly, seeing how quickly I can get from one place to another. Maybe I need to get a job as an ambulance driver, or *cheap shot about the Prime Minister's driver*. Or I should take up extreme roller-blading, as I think that it's technically not a vehicle, and thus I could go as fast as I wanted to.

Hmmm, do horse riders have to stick to the speed limit? What about animals, such as cheetah? Cyclists? Mad-fast sprinters?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are keen to go to either of those cons send me an email , as I am pretty keen to come along to at least one