Monday, April 13, 2009

Enhanced history and comedy knowledge

This week I've been listening to The History of Radio Comedy, a BBC series presented by Peter Jones. So far it's a history of wartime and post-war radio comedy, starting in the late 30s and moving through to the 50s. I'm up to episode 8 of 13, so I suspect it may not go much beyond the 50s. It's fascinating to listen to on both a historical and a comedic front. Hearing the changes in styles of joke and humour, as well as the history of wartime and postwar Britain through a comedy lens, is most educational. At less than 7mb a half hour episode it's very good value-for-bandwidth, and I've found it excellent value for time too. Especially good listening for hanging out washing, tidying up and so on. I stumbled on the series here, the same place I got the excellent Absolute Power.



No comments: