Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not Summer Heights High

Overheard in a corridor, after a truck driver delivered some food to the school canteen... Teacher: Were you rude to that truck driver? Student: Yeah but no, cos he was rude to me. Teacher: Slowly, without getting excited or shouting, tell me what happened. Student: I was just sitting on the back of his truck and he told me to get off or I might hurt myself Teacher: So you were sitting on something that doesn't belong to you? Student: Yeah but when he told me to get off I did but then he said he'd break me. He can't talk to me like that miss. Teacher: You were interfering with property that doesn't belong to you? Student: Yeah but I said sweet as when he told me to get off and I said I jumped off a house and I didn't break any bones so no worries, then he said he'd break me in a minute. He can't talk like that miss it's against my rights I'm gonna make a complaint. Teacher: It's not good that he spoke to you like that, but you were sitting on his gear. There's a line that you crossed and you need to apologise. Student: I'm not gonna apologise unless he apologises to me first, he can't talk to me like that it's against my rights miss. You should tell him. Teacher: (gives up) Go back into the classroom and do your work.


3 comments:

Matt said...

Note that this is a cut down version, with less swearing and protesting that "I didn't do nothing" and repetition etc.

Anonymous said...

But it is soooooo.....real. And strangly reassuring that it happens everywhere :-). My highlight this week has been a grandmother who shouted "you're a rude old bag" (old?,ouch), my response being "so are you". She then stated firmly (and loudly)that I couldn't make that response "its not perfessional and you're a perfessional and perfessionals don't talk like that!". Similar logic applied, I feel to that by the truck sitting youngster :-)

Unknown said...

I have so been there. I think I almost miss it.... hmm.