Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wanted

For a few weeks I've been in the interesting state of non-want. There weren't any consumer purchases other than food that I wanted to make. Usually there's some kind of gadget, or household item, or DVD, or book, or something that I'd idly like to pick up. For a while I wanted a plastic collander, but it seems less important now than it did in those heady days of the end of the holidays. Now there are at least two things I want to buy. Well, I'd be happy to pick them up for free by borrowing them, but failing that I'm getting ready to shell out some dosh. 1. A bike. I currently walk to school, and it's very pleasant and I get a lot of reading done. The reason I'm sorely tempted to get a bike is a simple one - I could get home faster, and thus be able to sneak home at lunchtime, or during non-contact time, and see my lovely family. I don't want to drive as it's unhealthy from both an exercise and polluting-my-environment POV, so a bike is a great speed/environment/$ compromise. 2. House season 3 (and 4). We borrowed the DVDs of seasons 1 and 2 from Luke and Sam, and it's an awesome show. We'd very much like to see the next season ASAP. Is the season that just started on TV here season 4? We watched the first episode of that just after finishing season 2, and it was neat, but there's clearly a lot we've missed out on. So, anyone got House to lend us, or a surplus bike? I'm thinking Trademe is a good place to look for a bike...








5 comments:

Seraph said...

I'm amazed that you can walk AND read at the same time ! If I tried that I'm sure I'd be killed in some kind of horrific road accident.

Matt said...

It helps that I only have to cross 4 roads on my way to work, and one of those is a tiny dead-end which only leads to a pub.

I do stop reading at each road to check and see if any cars are coming, and glance up every 30 seconds or so to check that there aren't any potholes, construction sites, giant piles of horse poo or other obstacles in my way :-)

Anonymous said...

House 3 is out on DVD though it is still full price. It won't be long before it comes down to a lower price.

Matt said...

Sweet. I think Jenni may possibly have it available for borrowing, so I shall either be bugging her when she gets back from her holiday or picking up the DVDs :-)

Anonymous said...

Walking and reading is great. But not as good as reading on public transport. I have also recently been wanting a bus, but not such a good want while travelling and on a budget.