Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Bloody funny columns

From the Guardian: Columns by Charlie Brooker, ripping the piss out of TV shows. Most amusing (though somewhat profane). An excerpt (about Jamie Oliver):
I didn't make up my mind until I caught wind of the outpouring of middle-class smug-o-wank surrounding his School Dinners series, which gave despicable 4x4-driving parents something to feel all superior about: they could tut at the McNugget-wolfing pauper kids while simultaneously shovelling chargrilled asparagus and parmesan shavings down their own spoilt shitbag childrens' throats.

 

3 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

I discovered the other day that Charlie Brooker wrote for Oink!, a formative comic influence on wee morgue. Oink! was like Viz for kids, and it was astoundingly good. I'll let you read it sometime, you'll dig it.

Many of the Oink! writers ended up writing for bonkers UK kids show "Round The Bend", which was equally awesome.

(That said, I loved the school dinners series, and I think Brooker doesn't get what Jamie was about in it. It is, in fact, the only thing Jamie Oliver has ever done that gave me the slightest bit of respect for him.)

Anonymous said...

THank you for opening up a whole new world once I googled Charlie Brooker! And today is international "talk like a Pirate day" Yo ho ho!!

Matt said...

Oink was well worth the reading - I learned about Hogmanay from its pages :)

I too loved the TV Dinners show, and don't necessarily agree with Brooker's comments. They are refreshingly blunt however :)

*Hmmm, Round the Bend, eh?