Thursday, January 11, 2007

A kind of fresh madness

Debbie and I are deep in editing mode. We are less than a third of the way through editing a very long short film that we shot this week, and it's hard going. It's likely to end up being somewhere between half an hour and 45 minutes long, a horror film. Debbie has blogged about the read-through, and I've monologued briefly about it to various people. It's sort of a horror comedy. We shot it at pretty much 48 Film Competition pace - three and a half days, plus one all-nighter. The all-nighter was insane - freezing conditions, no sleep, stumbling about in a small patch of woods with lanterns trying to frantically film scenes so kids could get back into warm clothes. Shame none of the footage is usable :0 When I say freezing conditions, it's only a slight exagerration. When we went to leave at 5.30am, there was ice on the windscreen of my car - too thick for windscreen wipers to remove. I had to pour water over the windscreen before I could drive anywhere. Anyways, we finished shooting on Tuesday (having shot Wednesday 4pm to Thursday 5am, Friday 6am to about 8pm, Monday 8.30am to 6.30pm and Tuesday 9am to 3pm), and now have 9 tapes worth of footage to edit together. I hope not to succumb to editing madness, but fear that it may be inevitable. On a more Kapcon related note, Kapcon is coming up soon. There are a couple of little jobs to do, but mostly it's just the showing up and being excited that remains. Huzzah! Now I must return to the laptop and do more editing. This film won't put itself together.


3 comments:

Matt said...

When I say kids, I mean teenagers. The cast was mostly made up of high school students (and one just-finished-high-school kid, plus me).

They were pretty impressive in their commitment and acting chops.

Jenni said...

did you play the villain?

Matt said...

No, the somewhat incompetent werewolf hunter (and weirdo) who happens to be in the neighbourhood :)