Monday, December 25, 2006

Matt's Favourite Books, Part 1

I was talking to Debbie yesterday about what her all-time favourite books were. I managed to guess 3 of her top 5, but then I got into a pretty grey area where I was guessing books that were probably in her top 20, but definitely didn't make the top 5. I then started thinking about my own 5 favourite books, and found that there were a large number of possibilities. Debbie guessed 5 or 6 books that I thought all warranted being in the top 10, but I struggled to rank them. So, over the next couple of weeks, I intend to make a short list of books that I really, really like, and from this list will reduce it down to a current top 5. Please feel free to make suggestions - especially if you know that I said I loved a book, but it doesn't show up on the list. If there's a book that's in your top 5 that I haven't mentioned, please let me know, and I may add it to my towering pile of books to read. In no particular order, some books Matt loves are: Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, Galapagos Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club Philip K Dick - Radio Free Albemuth William S Burroughs - Naked Lunch, The Ticket that Exploded, Cities of the Red Night Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman - The Dragonlance Chronicles Joseph Heller - Catch 22 Douglas Adams - The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - Good Omens Hunter S Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Robert Anton Wilson - The Historical Illuminatus Trilogy (haven't read part 3 yet - will do this holidays) Stephen King - The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, Dolores Claiborne John Brunner - um, so many to choose from, uh, The Sheep Look Up? Right, that's enough for Day One. I will actually look at my bookshelves when I'm next at home and at leisure (possibly being next year). From this group, Vonnegut, Wilson and Heller are the current forerunners.


2 comments:

Matt said...

I might be tempted to add a book called 'Too Too Solid Flesh', which was an SF book about android actors.

Oh, and something by James Herbert, such as 'Sepulchre'.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Dragonlance Chronicles. I hear they are being made into a movie. Woot!