Sunday, June 25, 2006

Burns, Curtains, Aches...

Our house has curtains now, thanks to the combined efforts of Debbie, Barbara, Luke, Sam and myself! And a little over $1000. The curtains look good. Hanging curtains is tiring work, especially with nothing to stand on (there is no furniture in our house yet). Holding your arms over your head for extended periods of time is less than fun, and for some odd reason has made my jaw ache. I also changed a light fitting (yay me!) which again involved much arms-over-head action - though this time I was standing on a chair (brought over by the wonderful Luke and Sam). So our house has one piece of furniture in it. Disregard my earlier lies. Our house also has about 80 - 90% of our kitchen stuff in it, plus sundry other bits and bobs. We are waiting for the $5000 worth of new carpet to go in before taking anything over that has to sit on the floor, like furniture or guitars or bean-bags (which are furniture) or... stuff. A less-than-fun fact about the curtain hanging is that it hurt my poor finger. I kept banging the back of my finger very gently against the railings or the wall, which would have been fine except that I burned myself on the iron on... Thursday? Friday? One of the days near the end of last week. I merely brushed my finger against the iron, and it hardly hurt, but I noticed a small red patch on the back of my finger an hour later, and today have had falling-off-skin and banging against tracks and walls, and it has been minus-fun. The amount of skin that fell off was smaller than my pinky-fingernail, and my finger doesn't hurt as much as my jaw (except when I wash dishes in hot water and my finger says ouchee), so really I can't complain. Any more than I already have. Until tomorrow. When I may post further complaints. Other people post interesting things on their blogs. Honest. Maybe you should... go... read... one of them?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine recommends getting your carpets cleaned before moving into a house, since there's never going to be a better time. I guess getting entirely new carpet is going one better. ;)

Another friend, who moved from being a receptionist to being a sculptor at Weta Workshop, had exactly the same problem as you -- she was doing hours of work underneath one of those Fellbeasts that went up on the theaters for the release of Return of the King, and her arms were an aching mess of pain by the end of the day. :)

Anonymous said...

So you have possession but have not moved in yet.Congratulations on being nearly in to your new abode and how lovely to be able to do curtains and carpet first. I trust the painful finger will subside over the next day or so. And I want to see your house very soon...so must make a travel plan and check it with you.

Anonymous said...

And Matt has preserved the toast rack especially for vists by his family :)

Me and Sam were trying to convince Debbie and Matt they had too much stuff they don't use. I gave the toast rack as an example only to be told by Matt that it was used when his parents came to visit. So I was proved wrong.