Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Still 29!


Thanks all for the excellent shenanigans over the weekend, and the lovely presents. As you probably noticed, I had a very good time. Sunday was less fun, with the feeling poorly, but Debbie took wonderful care of me and I survived. I even managed to get out to see the set in L&S's garage, and look at curtain material with Debbie. Admittedly, I mostly leaned on furniture while she was looking at curtains, but I rapidly realised that I have no particular agenda when it comes to curtain patterns. Our offer on a house goes unconditional today. All is looking pretty good, with one minor exception - the curtains actually belong to the tenant, not the vendor, and we can't get a quote in time for how much it will cost. I guess we can just throw down a figure and see if it's palatable. Problem is, having never had curtains made, I'm somewhat in the dark. The helpful person I spoke to at Radfords said it would probably be something less than $9000. Probably less than half that, depending on what we got. That seems like a lot? Then again, I think she was talking 'worst case scenarios' and, having heard what our situation was, was avoiding under-quoting. Anyways, last thing for today: Character Name Matt C Traits Evil Laughy Cetacean-friend Boils things Goals Be elected Prelate Frame Norman for the murder Bring about Luke's downfall Age 30 You were raised by chickens on a lard-infested farm. To this day eggs are your closest friends. You keep one with you at all times, its name is Barry and you have drawn a face on it. It has a goatee. Power 7 Fame 9

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and then again remember that ready made curtains from Briscoes or the Warehouse can be had for much less dollars per set - $40-$50 at the right times - and you can hang sheets. In the bargaining arena also if the curtains are made for this house they may not transport well to another. I would engage in much Chinese bargaining and if you wish you can have various left over curtains in our possession for tiding over - happy to deliver and inspect new purchase at the same time :)

Matt said...

Yeah, it's not a huge issue, but the vendor offered to pay for new curtains, so we're keen to take him up on the offer.

If it gets in the way of the sale (which is not yet unconditional, because of the curtains and minor repairs to the front door) we'd probably just drop it and pay for our own curtains, but given that the vendor offered to pay, we may as well take them up on the offer...

And of course you'll be welcome to come down and give us presents / take a look at the house :)

Anonymous said...

Curtains, carpet and wallpaper are house items that always seem to be more than you expect but there are bargains to be had out there.

It also really enjoyed the weekend. G&Ts are the first alcohol that I have got drunk on and could drink again the next day.

It was nice to see you guys on Sunday and that I had managed to "ensnare you into a web of suffering" (I think that was my goal on my PC sheet) through alcohol :)

Sunday was actually quite nervewracking though we finished up around 6pm which wasn't so bad. Will be funny to see the final result.

Anonymous said...

Fifty
And
Five
Booze

Anonymous said...

Strangely, Matt said at one point it was "fifty plus fifty" and at another time he flashes 10 fingers and then another 10 fingers to nonverbally communicate the drink. So was it 20, 55 or 100? Maybe the drink itself is to blame for the confusion :)

Matt said...

I believe early in the evening my translation of the kanji was:

Five Ten Five Booze!

Fifty five is a mysterious number with obvious magical power.

I make no claims to coherency in the later parts of the evening :)