Friday, March 31, 2006

Under Seige

There was some ugliness at work yesterday, with the mob mentality in full effect. It's an unpleasant thing to have about 30 or 40 people banging on the doors and windows, shouting and swearing. Fortunately there was a phone handy, so I could contact the main office for some support. I am reminded of comments Debbie made in the past, that people can look mighty damn ugly when they're being violent and aggressive. On a more pleasant note, it's the weekend tomorrow, and I am greatly looking forward to it. The weariness of the end of term is starting to sink in, and sleeping in and not seeing teenagers is a greatly good thing. The next two weeks might be a little tough, with extra hours and frazzled nerves, but there's a break coming soon enough. Oh, and plans are slowly being hatched for a joint 30th birthday celebration, perhaps around the [date to be sorted out, a Saturday in April/May, perhaps the 6th of May?] There will be bowling, and curry, and drinking, and possibly some Singstar. Further news as the plan takes shape...


6 comments:

Matt said...

Preventing a fight be extracting one of the participants is effective, but when said participant refuses to move further than the nearest classroom (which was intended to be a shortcut, as it had doors leading though to another corridor), it gives all the hooligans who like to encourage / watch fights a chance to congregate around the classroom.

And the anonymity of being in a crowd, combined with the scent of blood, did make the onlookers (and would-be pugilists) take on a Romeroesque quality.

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased they asked - it was bothering me too as I read. Takes me back to my own encounters of the teenage rage kind.I always stepped between warriors on the theory that they don't hit mother types. Much more scary, and therefore brave, for you to have resolved the situation. Any requests for birthday presents that could be sourced in Italy or UK??

Anonymous said...

scary students!

as for the joint b'day thing. the 29th is Armageddon weekend, and I also have a work thing that night.

Any chance of a different date?

Matt said...

I shall think on this. There are bound to be cool things that are only available in the UK or Italy?

I have just ordered Mighty Boosh stuff, plus Season One A Bit Of Fry and Laurie from amazon.co.uk.

Hmmm, portable cool stuff...?

Matt said...

And the borthday thing too. I shall think on this :)

A different date should be sweet - my actual birthday is the 11th of May, so it was an early date anyways :)

Matt said...

borthday? WTF?