Monday, March 20, 2006

I Likes Days Off

Many nice things have happened recently, and I am a well happy fellow. The fact that I survived my first class of the week, and am now enjoying a non-contact hour, is the most recent reason for celebration. Friday My class went in their activity day. There were many outdoor pursuits, no fights this year, and everyone seemed to have a very good time. I managed to read about 30 pages of Capes whilst on the trip, so that was fun too. I had been warned that Capes was hard to read, and I tend to agree, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I am quite keen to run a little game some time, just to try it out. My main comment on the way that the rulebook is written is that it's oddly organised - with all the rules at the start, character generation at the end, and lots of specific terminology in the rules that's entirely based on stuff you use to make up characters? The more traditional approach of telling people how to make up a character, and then telling them how to use that character, may have some distinct benefits, and may have helped here. Friday night was a quiet one for me - I had a little sleepy in the evening, watched Ghost in the Shell 2 which is one of the prettiest anime I've seen to date, and picked up Debbie in the wee hours of the morning from her night on the harbour and in town. Saturday We tidied up, had a visit from Debbie's ma, and then headed over to Luke and Sam's for roleplaying stuff. We made up characters for Nocturnum, which we'll be starting soonish, and played through the start of a With Great Power game. The d20 character generation process is a lot of fun - it reminds me of the kind of gaming I did as a teenager. I was pleased to see that the Cthulhu d20 rulebook even has pictures of the most popular guns in it. WGP was really interesting, and I'm looking forward to playing a full session of it (some time when we're not all tired would be good). I like the way it focuses on what's going to be put in jeopardy for each character, and the way you have to think about the way each of your assetts can be vulnerable. Neat stuff. Sunday The Pink Ladies came over for lunch, then they all headed off to do work stuff. I bumbled about the house feeling slightly unwell, went out and bought a new camera (having lost the old one), and read blogs and such. I also submitted my entry for this year's Game Chef Challenge. Pretty light, silly stuff, but fun to write. In submitting it I have signed myself up to score and review 4-5 other entries. This should be an interesting process. I'm quite looking forward to it. The Future This week will be a busy one, as usual. I have a course to run on Wednesday which I am partially prepared for (maybe 70%?). I should really get to work on getting 100% prepared. Then there's gaming, and mufti day, and all the usual fun of the fairground. Should be a blast :)


1 comment:

Matt said...

Bonus pleasantness - free pizza at lunch time.

Not sure why, but there were about 10 free pizzas in the staff room at lunch time today!