Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Quick Post


Weddings are awesome. The wedding of Jenni and Lee this weekend was stunning in every way. The castle is a pretty spectacular venue, and many comments were made about its desirability as a LARP venue. The ceremony felt very relaxed, yet still formal. Everyone looked lovely, and the celebrant left a hilarious pause after the 'any just cause' question - just long enough for people to chuckle, but not long enough for anyone to actually get smart. There were pool tables, so much bad pool playing ensued. Random quotage: "They're easier to insert when they're small" "I am not a flat surface!" The speeches were all really touching, especially Lee's (during which I was on the verge of tears). The dinner conversation (and dinner) were pretty fantastic, though the topics of conversation became less... polite... as the evening wore on. Talking about leveling up your marriage, and then being able to multi-class into other people's marriages (and take their gold pieces) was very silly. One of the really nice things that Luke and Sam and Debbie and I discussed in the car on the way home, was the fact that there aren't that many occasions when you celebrate relationships, and that it's one lovely thing that weddings can do - make you look around and appreciate the positive relationships around you. Oh, and I think I talked at length to several people (possibly semi-coherently) about my desire to move away from the self-deprecating mode that I grew up with, into a more honsetly congratulatory one. Both congratulating others for their awesomeness, but also being able to pat myself on the back and really own my successes. At least, that's what I meant to say. So, a lovely lovely wedding filled with lovely people, to celebrate a lovely couple and their success in being together and wanting to stay together. Tino pai.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was brilliant event from all accounts! One day I'll get to go to a wedding, one day...

Matt said...

I have tried to convince Luke to write a wedding LARP, where several couples are either renewing their vows or getting married, and then casting actual couples as the wedding party.

I was thinking Kapcon 2009, so we've got a couple of years to work on him...

Anonymous said...

A wedding LARP would be *crazy*!! But if it was an excuse to wear ones wedding dress again...