Tuesday, October 25, 2005

And then there were none…

 And then there were none…

This past weekend was a highly enjoyable one, largely because of the excellent play at Kapiti College entitled ‘And Then There Were None’. Debbie was the producer of the play, which meant that she did a whole heapin’ bunch of work. I helped out here and there, drawing the t-shirt picture, helping with posters and tickets and such, and going along to one rehearsal and all 4 performances to be a generally helpful lurker. I even did front-of-house for one show so that Debbie could actually watch the show.


The whole experience was incredibly satisfying and quite inspiring. The students did an amazing job in all aspects – front of house, lighting, props, sound, makeup, and of course acting. The play was about 2 hours 10 minutes long, with no singing or dancing breaks, so it was a pretty intense acting job for the cast. They pulled it off with style, being both convincing and impressive.


The first two shows were sold out, with the second two being more than two thirds full. The audiences were all very receptive, though Friday night’s audience was probably the most vocally responsive.


There were a great many excellent things about the experience, just a few of them being:


A great bunch of students. Everyone involved was a thoroughly decent sort of person.

An excellent show – even after seeing it 3 times, I still really enjoyed watching it.

The genki feeling that accompanies any successful production. It’s a nice, inclusive kind of celebration. Even though my involvement was fairly peripheral, I still felt like I could really celebrate with Debbie and the cast and crew.

The awesome music video DVD that Siobhan made. Really striking, and it made me crave the software that created it.

The support from family and friends. About 11 of our family and friends came to see the show, which was very sweet of them.

Seeing some of my students come along to support the Arts. It’s nice that the rivalries between schools need not stop students from enjoying each other’s achievements.

So, the production was great, I got to meet some great students and see them excelling at something they were passionate about, and I got to have some fun along the way. And people said nice things about my t-shirt design, which is always a plus.

My congratulations to all involved, staff and students, and my thanks to everyone who supported the show by coming along to see it!



No comments: