Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Dopplegangers



It's a strange thing to see someone who so strongly reminds you of someone else that you have to do a double-take. I may have lax standards when it comes to labelling people as 'looking like someone else', but there have been a few memorable instances when I have seen people I would go so far as to call dopplegangers.
A few days ago, I saw the Junior Morgue. A tall (well over 6 feet), sixth or seventh form student, loping about a basketball court at school, doing his best impersonation of one of Wellington's most noteworthy RPGers-in-absentia. I almost wished I'd had a camera on me (or a cellphone with a zoom-lens camera built in), although that would have led to breaches of privacy. Nonetheless, I would like to capture the image of one of these mirror-folk, to see if other people agreed with me that the resemblance was more than passing.

Possibly the strangest case for me was Japanese-Darcy. Most Sundays while I was working in Japan I had the odd (but pleasant) experience of teaching a middle aged Japanese man, with short black hair, who looked exactly like a mid-twenties long-ginger-haired white guy I knew from home. It was a strange thing to have bouncing around in my brain while I was trying to teach, but in a weird way it made me less homesick. I also met a Japanese-Catherine, and one or two other Japanese people who reminded me of folks back home. It was cool but unexpected to learn that, in spite of obvious differences, it is possible for resemblances to cross oceans, language and race. It made it feel like the world was just that little bit smaller, cosier, and more familiar.



No comments: