Friday, November 12, 2004

the Weekend, She Looms



Ah yes, the long week has slipped by and a kind of peace descends onto the Matt. No more classes to teach, no more exams to supervise. My life is quiet and peaceful once more, with weekendy goodness awaiting just around the corner.
I have 50 or so exams to mark, and Junior Prizegiving is only a few weeks off so the work will pick up for that, but right now, I'm pretty chilled out.

Every time I've sat down to blog in the past couple of weeks, I've had some mad time pressure making me rush. I feel like there was a lot I wanted to say, but didn't have the time. Now, time is there (ticking away, but not in a stressifying way). So what was it I wanted to say?

I think litter is important. I decided this last night, or rather I expressed it in concrete terms. The environment of a school is a direct reflection of the students who attend, and their attitude. My school is not tidy, nor is my classroom. See, I think tidyness is important, and I fight against litter and disrespect, but there's a culture of laziness at this school that extends to dropping rubbish wherever you happen to be standing when it becomes rubbish - whether that's in a classroom, on the field, 2 feet away from a rubbish bin.

It's close enough to the end of the year that I can start planning for next year, and one of the things I'm going to do is become a litter-Nazi, to use a slightly negative term for what is a positive move. I'm not going to tolerate a single piece of litter in my classroom, and I'm going to persecute the hell out of anyone who dares to litter in front of me. I'm going to blow it all out of proportion, make it a capital crime, and see what happens. Should be fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg the Bunny is the coolest show ever. Or perhaps, it's the coolest behind-the-scenes edgy puppet show ever. It's the late night, adult-oriented nephew of The Muppet Show, and it is da bomb. Hilarious, and very, very rewatchable. Debbie and I have been rationing it out, making the first viewing take a reasonable length of time. Some nights we can't help ourselves, and we watch 2 episodes, but most nights we limit ourselves to one. Soon, we will have seen them all, and might consider lending the DVDs to people. Of course, it's on TV in NZ at the moment, so y'all could watch it anyway (Tuesday nights, channel 3, around 11:45pm I think?).


No comments: