Sunday, November 28, 2004

Down with The Man!



What a pleasant weekend it has been! It started well, with a couple of hours of work on my second Scenario Design Contest entry, before leaving work and heading for home. Then plans were made to meet up with some good folks in town and eat delicious Japanese food at Miyabi Sushi and then head to Readings and see Bridget Jones 2.
The food was, as anticipated, oishii, and the company was fine and hilarious. Some of the conversation, about the most disgusting things people had ever eaten (deep fried chicken cartilage or pregnant cow womb in my case), dodgy parental goings on, and other odd comments, were a little on the strange side, but that’s just the way I like it.

We joked at length on the way to Readings about the prospect of going to Regency cinema (formerly Manners Mall, where I once worked). Debbie and I have seen a couple of movies there since we got back from Japan, and each time there were less than 10 or so people in the theatre. They were renovating their entranceway as well, which just added to the spooky ghost-ride appearance of the ‘abandoned cinema’. In the end, we had to go there because Readings was more or less sold out. It was, as anticipated, very very quiet there.

Before the movie came on, there was an ad for Chanel number 5 – possibly directed by Baz Luhrman? It had Nicole Kidman in it, and appeared to be a huge budget affair. The end of the ad had a few words pop up – Chanel Number 5, experience the elegance, spend the money, smell the smell, that kind of thing. As the ad was finishing, one of the 15 or so other patrons in the theatre yelled out "Capitalist Brand Brainwashing!" at the screen (or at the world?). I couldn’t help laughing, I mean Bridget Jones is not exactly the most shining example of an anti-capitalist, counter-culture film. I didn’t notice whether the activist in questions was drinking coke whilst shouting the slogan, but it seemed a particularly strange thing to do whilst at a commercial Hollywood movie.

After the movie there was nattering and cool refreshing drinkables, and then late night driving, and falling over with the tiredness.

Saturday was pretty awesome too – horse feeding, parent visiting, a little exercise (I’m not very good at exercise, but it is good for me), and then a road trip. Boargaming and gossiping with M&D were a lot of fun in northern climes, though the drive home was very tiring. And now – a Sunday with not too many commitments. A little work to do, a teeny bit of shopping, but mostly just chilling out.

Sweet.

No comments: