Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Once More Unto the Breach



Exam supervision. One of the more tedious forms of slow torture this term is inflicting on me. At least I'm in a classroom today, so I'll have a desk, and if the kids are nice I might even get some marking done. Of course, I shall probably have to spend the hour marching up and down and frowning at people - especially as it's the end of the exam, when most of them have finished, and are incredibly bored but not allowed to leave.
Yesterday, supervising the English exam in the Auditorium, was especially painful. 200 kids, many of them already exhausted, all crammed into a big hall for 3 hours. To keep from being driven mad, I decided to prowl about spotting kids with sideburns. Of the 79 male students in the hall, only 5 had sideburns. Whether this is because 15-16 year old boys don't appreciate sideburns, or they can't grow them, I don't know.

One student built a fort out of his colouring pencils, complete with a flagpole with a little flag blue-tacked to it. Many students tried to go to sleep. None of them were caught using their cellphones, so all in all they were pretty well behaved.

Four more hours of exam supervision to go this week. And of course, the marking. 200 essays, 50 short answer papers. So far I've marked 12 essays. Oh, and I should be receiving an extra 25 research projects to mark this week too.

The holidays really are over. Still, lots of fun planned this week - Jane Austen roleplaying, quiz night, Exalted, and then... the weekend!



No comments: