Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Shouldn 't you be working young mam?



Well, half the week has rolled by. Feels like a marathon. I suspect this term is going to be a pretty hefty test of endurance. Term 4 is close to the end of the year, and I only see my seniors for about 4 weeks, but Term 3 is a mighty foe. And he fights dirty - ganging up on me with Term 2 marking and random field trips during assessments.
Nonetheless, I'm in this for the long haul, and like a tired old prize-fighter I just have to keep my head down, swing the occasional sloppy punch, and hope to make it to the bell without too many broken ribs, lost brain cells or low-blows.

I am reminded of a quote I heard whilst watching trashy TV recently. Gene Simmons (of Kiss) was asked what he thought of the institution of marriage. Now, I'm very fond of the institution of marriage myself, but his answer seems kind of apt today if you think of a school as an institution. His response?

Man, you have to be crazy to want to be in an institution.

Then again, I don't so much want to come to work, as feel a financial and moral obligation to show up. The life of a sofa pirate sounds pretty darned good to me, and you can't get too much less institutional than that :)



No comments: