Sunday, November 23, 2008

Busy weekend :-)

This has been a full-on weekend so far! Friday started with a work bbq for the English department, which we went to the start of then pumpkined when it got to Dom's bedtime. The evening was very relaxing, although Dom was still very excited from seeing other little kids at the bbq so stayed up an hour or two later than his usual bedtime.

We both got emails on Friday from Harper Collins asking to see full manuscripts, so we headed in to school to pick up my flash drive with the most recent versions and print out my novel on Saturday morning. Debbie only finished her first draft this week, so we've spent a lot of time proofing and editing this weekend. The plan is to post them off tomorrow :-)

We managed to fit in a trip to Belmont to see family and some grocery shopping too. Hopefully the weather will be good enough for us to go for a walk this afternoon, and we have to go buy big envelopes (my manuscript is about 170 pages at 1 and half line spacing, Debbie's is about 300?).

So, a productive weekend!

Lastly, this is a poster my Y12 students made me. The whole class signed it.



The quotes are things I allegedly said in class, and the pictures are visual representations of war poetry metaphors I got the kids to copy down (the monstrous anger of the guns, the shrill demented choirs of shells, and a dust whom England bore).

Oh, and for those who are interested (if anyone is), my BMI is somewhere between 25.3 and 25.6ish. So 'healthy' on the BMI scale (as opposed to 'overweight') is within sight. Maybe by Christmas?

7 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

Hey, that's fantastic news from HarperCollins, nice one!

Matt said...

Thank yew! It will only make the inevitable rejection all the more sweet :-)

Secret word verifcation word of the day? 'untermo'

Anonymous said...

Well done my son - to you and the lovely Debbie - I will come to the book signings!!! My word verification is unairece - which makes me think about asphixiation for some reason...

Jenni said...

Holy crap go you with the letters from HarperCollins! Congratulations to the max!

rentshlk.

Anonymous said...

Nice on the Harper Collins - ness! You go writing duo!

Adedi for my word verification-ness

Matt said...

Thanks! It's exciting stuff, but I have to keep telling myself it's just a step towards a more cutting rejection :-)

I'll have to make sure I'm well into my next writing project before I hear back from HC. The school holidays are nearly upon us and that's a great opportunity to get back into writing.

Unknown said...

Neat! It's another step towards getting paid! :)