Saturday, April 12, 2008

Redrafted and caramel sliced

Today Debbie and I made caramel slice using a recipe my sister sent us, and it's really, really good. It's a fairly simple recipe too, which is neat. It does make a huge batch though, which leads to me eating too much caramel slice and getting a sore tummy. Yesterday I finished reading through the first draft of my kiwinowrimo novel, and today I typed up the last few changes for the second draft. I'm getting a few people to read it (just people who've volunteered - I'm not inflicting it on any unsuspecting passersby), but I'll also be sending it off to Random House this week. After them it's on to Scholastic, then I'll need to look around at other NZ publishers. On the whole, I'm pretty happy with it - it's a solid NZ teen novel that would be entirely appropriate to teach at a Y10/Y11 level. Here's hoping a publisher agrees with me :-)


















3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I've been checking your blog pretty regularly and since you haven't updated for a little while, I keep reading about the caramel slice and I *really* *really* WANT IT!!!

However, I'm guessing that you have eaten it *all* and that it wouldn't travel that well anyway, so, recipe??

Please?

Anonymous said...

The recipe is for a super duper large batch. You will need to halve it. It still makes heaps, a whole dish worth!!

Caramel Slice

Base
Buy sweet short pastry and cover bottom of rectangular greased tray. Easy to buy pastry that comes in sheets so you don’t have to roll pastry out.

Bake at 180 degrees till golden brown.

Filling
250grams butter
½ cup golden syrup
3 ½ cups condensed milk

Put all ingredients into a bowl and microwave on high firstly to melt butter into mixture. Keep a close eye and continue to microwave in short bursts till the mixture turns “gluggy”. It will start to feel more firm like caramel.

Spread the caramel mixture onto the pastry base and bake in oven till mixture no longer moves when you tilt the dish slightly. It should not take long to bake as the mixture gets close to being ready in the microwave.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Icing
200 mls cream
500grams chocolate – chocolate chips easiest to use

Warm cream in microwave. Put chocolate chips into cream and stir until the cream and chocolate go smooth. It takes a little mixing!

Pour over caramel filling, cover and place in fridge to set.

Slice after it has cooled in fridge.

Unknown said...

I don't think I can make this. Just reading the recipe has given me a tooth-ache!